Immigration Interview I 130/ Marriage

Asked about 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

I had my Immigration interview and they asked for more evidences requesting a letter from my wife who is an American Citizen and from our friends and friends. Do you know how many Letters from friends and family someone is supposed to send to the Immigration Agent to support clear and convincing evidences about the Marriage? I know they are busy to go thru many letters so I was wondering how many is the standard. Thanks!

1. Veronica Tunitsky

3

Best Answer

Answered . There's no such thing as 'standard.' You can have one or two really great affidavits or 10 really bad ones. Quantity is not a substitute for quality. But, 3-5 generally do the trick. Depends on other factors too.

2. Kevin Lederman

Answered . There is no standard. The more the better, but I certainly agree that quality should be the focus rather than quantity. You should also consider other types of evidence to show both a joint residence and a comingling of your lives, financial and otherwise. Joint lease, joint renter's insurance, deed for jointly owned property, joint bank accounts/credit cards/brokerage accounts/tax returns, joint title to vehicle, joint car insurance, joint medical insurance, wills/life insurance naming each other as beneficiaries, joint utility accounts, etc.

3. Dave Hawkins

Pro

Answered . If they want more information, I would hire counsel if I were you -- they may have doubts about the validity of your marriage. it is unwise to go to these interviews unprepared and without counsel. each interviewer is different and uses their own independent judgment so they are no standards.

4. Mark Robert Barr

1

1

Answered . The standard is as many as you can get.

If you need to meet the "clear and convincing" standard, it means you are in removal proceedings. So most likely you really, really need to get this I-130 approved. As a result, you should be hitting up every single person who has first-hand knowledge of your marriage. You will never be denied for having too much evidence. Now is the time to call in all your favors from all your friends, relatives and work peers.

5. Erika Lynn Roman

1

1

Answered . I don't believe in quantity but quality. 2 or 3 letters should suffice. It is important that the letters contain specific details and examples of the interaction you have shared as a couple between your family and friends and why they believe your marriage to be a good faith bona fide union. Maybe some background on how you started dating, what sorts of activities do you do together, why they think you are a good couple, your plans for the future, etc.

This is not intended to be legal advice, just a general and broad responsed to a topic.
  6. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is not quantity that matters, but quality.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.