Immigration interview already? I thought we weren't supposed to have an interview until after two years of being married.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

My spouse and I were expecting to have an interview for her green card after two years of being married. Why is the appointment set for one month from now when we just applied for the residency?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Hi hope that you are well. Once you file for the marriage petition even if your marriage is shorter than 2 years, you will get scheduled for an interview before an adjudicating officer. If your petition is granted/approved then you will get your conditional residency. That will be good for two year. You will have to file to remove those conditions 3 months before your conditional residency expires. There is some probability that at that point you may be called back for another interview. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

  2. 4

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . This is interview towards your adjustment application. Once approved, you will be granted conditional residence for two years. Within the three months of expiration of the two-year residency you will apply for removal of condition.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You thought wrong.

    Why is the appointment set for one month from now when we just applied for the residency?
    Because USCIS' workload allows them to interview you that quickly.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . First interview for the grant of residency comes right away. After that, if married less than 2 years you get a 2 year card. If married more than 2 years by the time of adjustment then you get a 10 year card. 2 year card can turn into 10 year card if you properly file the I-751. USCIS can choose to interview you again in 2 years if the want to do so. Most I-751 s are not interviewed.

  5. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my esteem colleagues. All of them.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,738 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,738 answers this week

3,715 attorneys answering