Immigration interview already? I thought we weren't supposed to have an interview until after two years of being married.

Asked about 1 year ago - Cedar Rapids, IA

My spouse and I were expecting to have an interview for her green card after two years of being married. Why is the appointment set for one month from now when we just applied for the residency?

1. Norma Lorenzo

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . Hi hope that you are well. Once you file for the marriage petition even if your marriage is shorter than 2 years, you will get scheduled for an interview before an adjudicating officer. If your petition is granted/approved then you will get your conditional residency. That will be good for two year. You will have to file to remove those conditions 3 months before your conditional residency expires. There is some probability that at that point you may be called back for another interview. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

4

1

Answered . This is interview towards your adjustment application. Once approved, you will be granted conditional residence for two years. Within the three months of expiration of the two-year residency you will apply for removal of condition.

3. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . You thought wrong.

Why is the appointment set for one month from now when we just applied for the residency?
    Because USCIS' workload allows them to interview you that quickly.

4. Marcia Irene Dore

3

1

Answered . First interview for the grant of residency comes right away. After that, if married less than 2 years you get a 2 year card. If married more than 2 years by the time of adjustment then you get a 10 year card. 2 year card can turn into 10 year card if you properly file the I-751. USCIS can choose to interview you again in 2 years if the want to do so. Most I-751 s are not interviewed.

5. Alexander Joseph Segal

2

Answered . I agree with my esteem colleagues. All of them.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now