Skip to main content

Immigration individual hearing dec, 6 2012 what will happen in those hearing can we win cancellation of removal what are chances

Tacoma, WA |

im us citizen married to my husband you was arrested in 2010 for assult or domestic violence 4th degree , no contact order was place, i went to court to cancel the order it was cancel i speak to prosecutor my husband ended up getting a disordly conduct instead of the domestic violence in his record , my husband had a dui in yr 2001 wich he paid off his ticket attend to school nd never again got into trouble exempt for 2010 with disordly conduct he was detainned in ice got him out with bond , already attenden master hearing nd now individual hearing coming up , we have 11 yr old boy from my previews marrige and i have a 2 yr old and currently expecting my third by december 15 close to the individual hearing , me and my kids are us citizens want to know if what r posibilitys of winning this

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    One of the bars (impedimientos) to obtaining cancellation of removal relief is the "lack (falta) of good moral character (GMC)". Based on your description above, I think your husband will be able to prove GMC, since one "disorderly conduct" and DUI conviction should not be enough to bar husband from this relief.

    Whether or not the Cancellation relief will be ultimately granted by the judge and instead of getting deported your husband will obtain a green card willl depend on the additional factors am listing below:
    1, Whether or not you are represented by a competent immigration attorney in court;
    2. The migration consequence, i.e. severity of your husband's disorderly conduct conviction, whether or not it's a "crime of moral turpitude' (don't think so) - also the DUI, and the significance, impact of those two convictions taken together;
    3. How hard will the "prosecutor" representing ICE will want to go after your husband;
    4. Your husband's ability to adequately document his physical presence in the country during the statutorily required number of years, and
    5. Whether or not you need to demonstrate that your husband's deportation will cause extreme and highly unusual hardship to you the US citizen spouse, and last, but not least:
    6. The personality and style of the judge - will he be sympathetic to your husband, or will he/she instead side with the prosecution and ask "cross examination" style questions from your husband, instead of acting like a "neutral" arbiter..

    I hope you have a good attorney. Best of luck!!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. The judges in WA and OR are quite 'tough' on these cases ... especially if this is a non-LPR cancellation, vs a LPR cancellation application.

    Don't go without an attorney ... no matter how 'great' you think your facts are ... I've seen the judges deny more often than approve if people don't have an attorney to present a well-organized case.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Now, the major question is what have you done to win this case? Do you have a lawyer? If so, you are probably advised on how to prepare for your individual hearing. There should be good evidence of your and your children's hardship and your husband's good moral character. Without evaluating this evidence, it is impossible to predict an outcome of your case.

    Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation, please contact my office directly. This information is transferred without an intent to creat an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I would advise you to contact an attorney who has experience in both immigration and criminal law as soon as possible. Although it sounds like your husband's domestic violence offense was reduced to disorderly conduct, he may still be ineligible for cancellation of removal based on having committed an offense of domestic violence. I highly recommend you speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible to review your husbands court records and give you more specific advice as to how to proceed.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics