Immigration implication of arrest record

Manassas, VA |

I am a green card holder. Last year I was wrongfully arrested and charged with assault on family member. But the charge was dismissed in court later. Now I am doing expungement for the arrest record. I'd like to ask about the implication of the whole thing even with the arrest record expunged. Does it have any effect on future green card renew or citizenship application? Do I need to hire an immigration lawyer at this point? Thanks.

A person is considered innocent unless proven guilty. If all charges against you were dismissed, your arrest will not affect your green card renewal or your naturalization.

You do not need an attorney to solve this matter.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. I agree with Mr. Shusterman. However, you should keep a copy of all documents pertaining to the matter in case USCIS requests the disposition of the matter when you apply for naturalization.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration Topics