Immigration Guidance!

Houston, TX |

Good Afternoon,

I'm adjusting my status after marrying a U.S. citizen and we are scheduled for the interview next month end.

The interview notice gives a checklist of the documentation to be brought to the interview.

One such requirement is "All documentation establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident Status".

What documentation is this?

it will be a great guidance and help from the legal community if someone can throw some light on this.

Thanking you.

1. There is no single answer to this question as every case is different. Generally speaking you need to prove the bona fide nature of your marriage (real marriage and not a "Green Card marriage"), your legal entry or any exception for which you qualify, no disqualifying criminal record... I would suggest you sit down with an attorney and discuss your case in person.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

2. Your interview notification letter already contains a laundry list of documents, please READ it.

By "all such documentation....." it is meant ANY documentation (receipts, applications, bills, payments, credit card/bank statements, medical, car insurance payments, etc.) which have BOTH your names as living or paying together.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. I agree with my colleagues.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

4. You may want to consider either consulting an attorney prior to the interview (I am in Houston for your convenience) or having one accompany you and your husband to the actual adjustment interview OR as Attorney Behar states, read the exhaustive list and bring whatever you can fulfill from that list.

Marriage and prenups topics