Skip to main content


Los Angeles, CA |

I am an illegal alien here but I have my B1/ and B2 visa with me here. No criminal offense commited as far as I am concerned. I am presently residing here in Los Angeles, California with my husband. I got 2 unmarried child in our country ages 10 and 13 years old and they are living with my parents. I just got married with my US citizen husband(white).This are my questions:
1. I would like to ask what immigration forms do we need to fill up
including my kids so they can come and live with us here in america? Please
specify the names of the forms and complete information.

2. What forms do we need to submit first? Or do we need to submit all the forms
together in one envelop?

3. Please give specific requirements for each form

As much as possible, me and my husband wants to do this immigration paper works by ourselves . I know its a little bit complicated but just give us some advices, informations, and ideas that could help us. And we will start from there. Thank you and May God bless you all!!!

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Forms: I-130, G-325A for both of you, photos for both of you, fingerprints, medical examination, I-485, I-765, I-864, I-824 and lots more. The instructions are on the forms. This is only for you. The children have to wait until you get your green card first.

    Please see

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. You might want to read the avvo terms of use. They state "Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information." It is not appropriate and against your interest for anyone to attempt to instruct you on how to file your application in such a forum, particularly without reviewing the specific facts of your case. What is in your interest is to speak with and retain a trained professional and licensed attorney to properly handle your case. Any fees are well worth a positive result, particularly when it involves your and your family's legal status.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. I think it unwise to seek "quick and free" "legal advice" on a website if you value your immigration status. This site is not meant to ask "which forms to fill-out" when that question inevitably involves the professional legal judgment of an attorney. You case involves more than choosing forms and filling them out. If you dont believe that, go ahead and research how many people are denied and deported for just "filling out" forms. I would at a minimum, consult in private with an immigration lawyer before doing anything.

  4. Each of the above posts is correct. You are in a risky situation since you have overstayed your visa, so if you were to mess up on your application, you could easily subject yourself to getting deported out of the country and away from your husband. In this situation, it is especially important (and worth the cost!) to seek legal advice from an expert.

  5. The forms for your petition are: Form I-130, Form G-325 (for you and your husband), Form I-864 (for your husband and co-sponsor if any), Form I-693 (for you, to be partly accomplished by a USCIS accredited physician), and Form I-485. You can download the forms as well as the instructions for each from the USCIS website ( Please note, however, that filing a relative petition is not as simple as filling out forms. There are certain eligibility requirements that you and your husband I recommend that you seek an immigration lawyer's advice before you proceed with the filing of the petition.

    As for your minor children, there are two possible options. You can petition them after you have obtained your green card or your husband can petition them as his step-children since they were under 18 years old when the marriage took place. Either way, the petition can be filed using Form I-130. Since the children are out of the United States, they will have to apply for immigrant visa through consular processing. Again, I recommend that you seek an immigration lawyer for advice on the eligibility requirements and procedure before you proceed with the filing of the petition.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics