Immigration Consultation does not establish "Attorney-Client" relationship ? Is consultation still confidential ?

I want to consult a few immigration attorneys prior to hiring one that I feel has the requisite experience and background in what I need.

When I visit attorney websites to schedule a consultation, I see the message "consultation does not establish attorney-client relationship". Does this still mean that anything discussed will be kept confidential by the attorney even if I choose NOT to hire that attorney or does it mean that if I don't enter into a contract with the attorney, he/she is not obligated to keep the discussion/ information confidential.

Additionally, if the notes made by an attorney ever fall into unauthorized hands (without client's permission) can they be used against a client as evidence in a legal setting.

1. No. You still have confidentiality as that also covers discussions with prospective clients.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree with my colleague.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. yes there is confidentiality with consultations as well (I believe its broken if there is imminent threat or harm to the individual or a third person).

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Professional ethics topics