Immigration affidavit of support

New York, NY |

I am an American citizen & i married a danish citizen here in new york in march.
we are currently filing the affadavit of support form with uscis.
in my last year tax return i earned 22,000 of which 10,000 came from unemployment benefits.
does this cause a problem when filing the affidavit form do i need a sponsor

What's your 2013 income-to-date?

Read the instructions closely ... there is information on secondary evidence of the current year's income.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

The information you require should be in the instructions, If you are still uncertain after consulting the instructions, you may wish to consider consulting an immigration lawyer.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

Unemployment benefits are income. No problem as long as you comply with the requirements of I-864P

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Look at the instructions and carefully figure out your household size. Then compare that number to the income requirements. If your income is not sufficient, you may be able to use assets or get a co-sponsor. These issues can be complicated, make sure to read the instructions well or seek assistance from an attorney.

Please note that this response for informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

If your household consists only of you and your wife, you will have no problems with $22,000. If you you have additional members in your household, you will need a joint sponsor. Check out the table in this form:

Sophia Solovyova, Esq. 32 Broadway Suite 1310 New York, N.Y. 10004 T: 917-279-0134 F: 646-435-9234

Recommended articles about Divorce