Immigration advice?Hello, I have recently become a permanent resident. I obtained my 1st green card through marriage and receive

and received it in November 2012. Now, I have a very complicated personal situation with my husband (he is a citizen, by the way). He wants to divorce me and at the same time, as he says, he wants to "help me out" with my immigration matter because i stayed in this country because of him on the first place. Anyway, lately, he keeps changing his mind and saying that he can't wait up staying married until the second interview (where i will remove the conditions from my green card) because "it's not good for him and it's better to divorce ASAP because someone told him that". Obviously, for me and my paperwork it is better to stay married until I receive the second green card. My question is: from the legal point of view, how can marriage hurt him, considering we're not together anymore?Thanks

New York, NY -

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Consult with an immigration attorney in person

Danny Garmo

Danny Garmo

Immigration Attorney - Southfield, MI

It is better that your husband file the divorce. You can still remove the conditions on residency with Form I-751 once the divorce becomes FINAL or before the 2 year expiration. You can file the form yourself without his help. You must prove that the marriage was a bona-fide good-faith marriage and not just for the green-card benefits.

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

Keep proof of your good faith marriage and go ahead and get divorced. He can then help you file the petition to remove condition from your residency. He is right that it is easier to get the condition removed being divorced, than being married but separated.

Alena Shautsova

Alena Shautsova

Immigration Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

If the marriage was real, you will be able to apply for removal of condition after the divorce.