Immigration

Asked almost 3 years ago - Albany, NY

I am an adult 26 years of age. My mentor can adopt me if its my only option of staying in the United States of America and he will. I do have a felony, which under immigration law is considered an aggravated felony. Will this felony prevent me from recieving my permanent residence status even though technically I was adopted by American parents, making me American as well? Furthermore, who files the papers, the adult or the adopting parents?

1. Stuart Jonas Reich

Pro

3

Answered . Both your age, and the aggravated felony are independent factors, each of which would keep this from working for you by itself.

The adoption would no longer work because of your age.

Even if it did or you had some other immigration option available, the agfel would keep you from getting a green card.

Speak with a lawyer directly.

2. KiKi Maria Mosley

Pro

3

Answered . Being adopted at the age of 26 cannot help you because you are too old. Your aggravated felony, if it is indeed an aggravated felony for the purposes of immigration will act as a bar to any application for adjustment you could make, assuming you find an alternate way to petition aside from adoption.

You should have a consultation with an immigration attorney. From your question it seems that you have been misinformed that this adoption would have been a "ticket" to a petition on your behalf.

You should take your criminal records with you to the immigration attorney and they can make an assessment as to whether it is an aggravated felony for the purposes of immigration - this is a unique concept within immigration law.

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . An adoption will get you no immigration benefits whatsoever.