Immigration

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have just received my 10year greencard thru my husbands petition last December 2011. We have an argument now because he always ask me money because he always go to casino. He is working and me too, we have no children. Can I file a divorce now because I don't want to have trouble because of his casino habit and I dont want to loose all my money because of him. Can Immigration question me and cancel my greencard because I have my 10 yr greencard only last December 2011 and now I will file a divorce. Please help I am confuse.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

26

Answered . Yes, you can go ahead and get divorced.

2. Suzan deSeguin-Hons

16

1

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleague, but want to add a caution. You should be aware that USCIS may look into the bona fides of your marriage at the time you apply for naturalization. Therefore, you should save as many documents as possible that will help prove those marriage bona fides, to be prepared if USCIS ever raises this issue in the future.

3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

17

1

Answered . There is no requirement that you be married for any specific period of
    time. There is no reason for you to stay in a marriage you no longer
    wish to be in.

4. Neil Ian Fleischer

14

Answered . You can obtain a divorce, I agree. If you are confused , hire an attorney to assist you

www.immigrate2usa.com

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now