Skip to main content


Los Angeles, CA |

I have just received my 10year greencard thru my husbands petition last December 2011. We have an argument now because he always ask me money because he always go to casino. He is working and me too, we have no children. Can I file a divorce now because I don't want to have trouble because of his casino habit and I dont want to loose all my money because of him. Can Immigration question me and cancel my greencard because I have my 10 yr greencard only last December 2011 and now I will file a divorce. Please help I am confuse.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    I agree with my colleague, but want to add a caution. You should be aware that USCIS may look into the bona fides of your marriage at the time you apply for naturalization. Therefore, you should save as many documents as possible that will help prove those marriage bona fides, to be prepared if USCIS ever raises this issue in the future.

    Colorado 303.442.8554/New Mexico 505.819.3303/ Ms DeSeguin’s statement is general in nature, is not intended as legal advice, and should not be relied on as Ms DeSeguin does not have knowledge of all the relevant and necessary facts. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  2. There is no requirement that you be married for any specific period of
    time. There is no reason for you to stay in a marriage you no longer
    wish to be in.

  3. Yes, you can go ahead and get divorced.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. You can obtain a divorce, I agree. If you are confused , hire an attorney to assist you

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics