Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

My mother became US citizen last month trhought my step father who adopted me 10 years ago. I mostly study in England can I apply for N 600 ? Wouldnt it be a problem that I study in England and most of the time I am there? What documents should I produce for N 600 interview ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If your step father filed a visa petition for you and you came to the U.S. as a permanent resident, you may be a derivative US citizen. Your mother may also be able to petition you to immigrate. Simply having parents who are U.S. citizens, does not make you a derivative U.S. citizen.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  2. Gintare Grigaite

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues, and we need more information to determine if you would be eligible for derivative citizenship. So it would be best if you could schedule a private consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do... more
  3. Alice Antonovsky

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . What is your current status? You can't just automatically apply for Citizenship. I suggest you meet with an immigration attorney, lay out all the facts, produce any relevant immigration documents and get advice as to what your course of action should be. Good Luck.

    The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,001 answers this week

3,239 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,001 answers this week

3,239 attorneys answering