Immigration/ Work Authorization

I have been working as a Free Lance Interpreter for the last 3 years. I was called to be the Translator for an Immigration Interview but decided not to since I did not have a Work Authorization and I was in the process of the Green Card myself. Now I am in the end of the Process, had my second Interview with the Immigration ( the first one was for the I 130 since I was in a Removal Proceedings ) and now I am waiting for the final answer from the Immigration. Now I do have the Work Authorization and I just received an Email from someone asking me if I could be his Interpreter for his Interview. Would it be weird if I work as a Interpreter at the Immigration Office since I am also waiting for my Green Card? Before I refused it because I did not have the Work Authorization but now do.Thanks!

Seattle, WA -

Selma Taljanovic-Saracevic

Selma Taljanovic-Saracevic

Immigration Attorney - Tucson, AZ

As long as you have a valid employment authorization document, you should be fine to translate. Take the card and an ID with you to the appointment in the event you are asked to show identification.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

That could create a conflict of interest since you were in removal proceedings in the same U.S. immigration case with the case pending.

Maria J. Marty

Maria J. Marty

Immigration Attorney - Bellevue, WA

I don't see a problem with you acting as an interpreter. You are lawfully permitted to work.

Scott Dewayne Mills

Scott Dewayne Mills

Immigration Attorney - Salt Lake City, UT

You are legally authorized to work. And the USCIS is a separate agency of the government from the Immigration Court.