Immigration: I am qualified to apply for FAFSA while waiting for a decision on my marriage to a USC case ?

Asked 11 months ago - Los Angeles, CA

Married to a USC and still waiting on the decision after the interview for almost 5 months now,and I really need to go to school in stead of just wasting time, Am I qualified for FAFSA to get a grant or scholarship , I read that only USCs and permanent residents are qualified ? I have already missed the first and second semester while waiting on the decision, Could you please help and let me know. thanks

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Though it is not an immigration law question, you are not qualified.

2. Jeff L. Khurgel

Pro

1

Answered . For FAFSA, if not a citizen, you need to be an eligible noncitizen: a resident; refugee; Asylum recipient; certain type of parolee; Cuban-Haitian Entrant; or a citizen of Palau/Marshall Islands/Micronesia. You may also want to speak to an attorney about whether an expedite request in your immigration case is possible.

3. Maria J. Marty

Pro

1

Answered . Talk to the schools financial aid office. The question is from what date you gave to evidence permanent residence.