Skip to main content

Immigration: I am from Uruguay married to a permanent resident alien. Can she claims for me?

Perth Amboy, NJ |

I am from Uruguay who came to USA 6 years ago with that special visa, my wife is from republic dominican only with a permanent resident and we have one child born here in NJ. Can she claim for me for my permanent resident?

Friends from other nationality says because of that especial visa to Uruguay and Argentina I can't be claim by a permanent resident...

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Your wife can certainly petition for you to be accorded permanent residence. However, due to quota issues it will be a number of years before a visa will be available. Additionally, whether you will be eligible for apply for adjustment of status is unclear by your reference to a "special" visa.

    Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you how best to proceed.

    Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney
    Devore Law Group, P.A.
    2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
    Telephone: (561) 478-5353
    Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
    Skype: jeffrey.a.devore

  2. Like Mr. Devore, we'd need to know more about this 'special' visa.
    Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law

    FIRST 15 MINUTE CONSULTATION IS FREE (SKYPE or phone only). e-mail to set up a time that is convenient for both of us: - 1-800-716-0055.

    NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE, WE CAN HELP. Our services are not limited by State, nor International boundaries. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
    Do not rely completely on information you get on a website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

    Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or - If you are low income go here: or

    FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

  3. There is no such thing as a "special visa." Your wife can petition for you but it is probably best if she becomes a citizen first. Before doing anything hire an attorney and have them figure your situation out. My firm handles these types of cases.
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. I don't know what a special visa is. Your wife can petition for you but it will take at least three years before you get a green card. If she can become a citizen it will go much faster. You need to speak with a lawyer.

  5. I agree in that I have never heard of a "special visa". Entering with a visa is a good thing, however. Your best bet is for your wife to become a citizen and then petition for you. I'd love to help.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics