Immigration: Does a DUI render me inadmissible into the USA?

Asked about 2 years ago - New York, NY

I would like to immigrate to the USA, but i got a DUI in Canada and was fined and barred from driving for a year. It was dealt with summarily last year. Does this render me inadmissible in the USA?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 21

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to a US licensed immigration attorney ... it shouldn't be a problem.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. 19

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally it does not.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. 17

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should post this question where you'll receive answers from qualified Immigration Attorneys.

    Christopher I. Simser, Sr.
    Anelli Xavier
    269 West Jefferson Street, Second Floor
    Syracuse, NY 13202

  4. 16

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact a local experienced immigration attorney to assist you.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  5. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ordinarily no but it may depend on various factual inquiries so you should hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado
    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

    The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20... more

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

DUI and immigration status

If you are not a US Citizen, a DUI may impact your immigration application, and in severe cases may lead to deportation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,132 answers this week

3,596 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,132 answers this week

3,596 attorneys answering