Immigration Correction in birth certificate

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cupertino, CA

I was born in 1975 in Mumbai. The last name in my passport (school leaving certificate, degree certificate etc) has the name used by all my family membes but my birth certificate has different last name . My parents tried to correct it from municipality but they asked for proof of residence prior to by birth. We have no proof whatsoever. Our all efforts to convince the Municipal council has failed. What can be done to correct this difference and satisfy the immigration department's requirements to process my green card. Your guidance and hepl will be highly appriciated.

1. John B. Reilly

Answered . Your question is not entirely clear to me, but if it is necessary you can likely hire a local attorney to guide you through the process of an official name change in state court and then submit a certified copy of the judgment that corrects your name to USCIS. If you are trying to change the birth certificate itself, you may have to do that in Mumbai. Best of luck!