Immigration, car loan without SSN, social security number

Asked about 6 years ago - Omaha, NE

I am a international student holding an F1 Visa, I don't have SSN and ITIN. Is it possible for me to get an auto loan? Or do I have to pay in full?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Sean Christopher Hayes

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You will need to have a driver's license and an insurance card to leave the car lot. In theory, it is possible to get a loan without a SSN, however, the major loan companies will not give you one without a SSN.

  2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . There is no legal requirement that a borrower has an SSN or ITIN. If you can convince someone to lend you money, your lack of an SSN or ITIN should not be a legal barrier. However, depending on how much money you are borrowing, you likely will find few if any who would lend to a person without a verifiable credit history.

    Moreover, you likely will have to produce a driver's license and proof of insurance before the car dealer will let you drive off. Without an SSN, you likely cannot get a driver's license.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,313 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,313 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering