Immigration/ Adjustment of Status/ Employment without authorization

Asked 7 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

I am filing an application to get a green card through my US citizen husband. I do not have an employment authorization, but I was working the entire time and filed income tax returns. My husband occasionally filed tax returns. However, this year he didn't show any income. Also,we have a cosponsor. How can I explain at the interview that I was working without authorization? Should I fill out any additional forms explaining it? Is there any penalty for this? What is the better way to solve this situation?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . You explain it in the same way as here - truthfully and in honest and straightforward language.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

1

Answered . Just be truthful and disclose all your previous unauthorized employment. I have good news for you: spouses of US citizens can never be penalized for any on authorized employments, due to the fact that they are deemed as "immediate relatives" (IRs). The law as it stands does not allow USCIS is to penalize IRs for any previous unauthorized employment. Rest assured.

3. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

1

1

Answered . Be truthful on the application and at the interview. While there is a general prohibition to adjusting status if you have worked illegally in the US, there is an exception if you are adjusting based on marriage to a US citizen. No additional forms are needed. There is no penalty unless you used fake documents to work.

4. Andrew T. Brooks

Pro

1

1

Answered . Unauthorized employment is forgiven if you're married to a US citizen. There is neither a penalty nor additional forms.