Immigration!

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am a U.S. Citizen.

My parents are in India i wanted to know if i sponsor them how many years will it take to have them join me here in U.SA?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

1

Answered . If you are 21 years of age or older, your parents are considered "immediate relatives". There are not subject to any numerical quota, and can immigrate to the U.S. in a matter of months.

2. Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff

Pro

6

Best Answer

Answered . Assuming you are over 21 years of age there is no quota for parents of U.S. citizens.
    Thus the only delay would be the processing times.
    If your parents are currently in the U.S. and last entered legally (as tourist or in some other category) they can apply for adjustment of status. Currently in the Los Angeles area it is taking 5 to 6 months to process those types of cases (your parents can remain here while the paperwork is pending). If they are abroad it could take around a year depending on what consulate/embassy they will be applying at.

I recommend you contact a qualified immigration lawyer, such as those who volunteer to answer immigration questions for Avvo, to advise you since other factors may be involved.

Ron Tasoff

Certified Immigration Law Specialist*
    Law Offices of Tasoff and Tasoff
    16255 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1000
    Encino, California 91436
    (818) 788-8900
    ron@tasoff.com
    www.tasoff.com

3. Otis Carl Landerholm

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Good luck.

Otis C. Landerholm, Esq.
    www.LanderholmLawOffice.com

4. J Charles Ferrari

4

1

Answered . About a year