Skip to main content


Ann Arbor, MI |


Suppose if an U.S. citizen files paperwork for his sibling residing in India how many years will it take for her and her spouse and children to move here?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    If there are no changes in the law, the only estimate that can be given is how long it took for the people who are just now getting here with their immigrant visas. Right now, Indian-born siblings of USCs who have a priority date (filing date) of 4/15/2001 are able to immigrate. However, chances are good - absent a change in law - that your sibling would have to wait much much longer. There is no way to know exactly how many people would be "ahead" of her in line if you filed for her right now.

    Filing a family petition can also have unintended consequences. It may make it more difficult for your sister to come to the U.S. just to visit.

    It's never a bad idea to consider consulting a lawyer before acting when it comes to immigration matters.

    *This is not intended as legal advice. Individuals should consult an attorney to review individual circumstances of their case.

  2. Although it is impossible to give you an exact time frame, the best estimate at this time is that your sister and her husband and children would need to wait approximately 12 years from the date that the US Citizen properly files a petition. This estimate of 12 years is just that - only an estimate. It is based on the "Visa Bulletin" that is published each month by the U.S. Department of State.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  3. Approximately 12 years unless there is a change in the allocation of visa numbers.

  4. Agreed. Roughly 12 years unless something drastically changes.

  5. Current estimate is about 12 years. But whether the same wait time would apply after you had filed is hard to predict because wait times always change. Best Wishes!

    Lalita Haran
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174

  6. You can find the visa bulletin here if you would like to monitor it.

    Heather L. Garvock Attorney Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: For more information about current issues and developments in immigration law, visit my blog: The information I provide on my blog and Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics