Immigrant want to know what may happen with IRS, please help

Asked over 1 year ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Good evening
I have been living in the USA more than 6 year ( overstayed visa)
I was working thru subcontractors in the USA,fr paychecks and they didn't withheld any money for taxes.And I didn't pay taxes or filed, because I was afraid to be caught from Immigration.
Last year receved my EAD as a beneficiary with my wife. And requested my 1099-MICS form. For 2012 from company whom I worked many years. Filledthe tax form and ready to pay to Government what I owe.
Question is: Do person gets trouble for not paying taxes untill they receive their EAD like in my shoes ?
Please advise me
Thank you

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . Yes. Make sure that you pay any back taxes that you owe.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

2

Answered . They may; So, pay taxes and provide evidence that you did and you should be OK

3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . Whether you are working legally or illegally in the United States Uncle Sam wants his money. Your immigration status is irrelevant to your tax obligation. Your belief that filing a tax return would result in the IRS notifying the Department of Homeland Security was misplaced. The IRS is not allowed to share that information. Consult with an an accountant who can help you pay your back taxes so as to avoid unnecessary penalties and interest.

4. Brian David Lerner

Pro

3

1

Answered . Hello:

You must pay taxes whether you are here legally or illegally.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now