Immigrant Petition for my Daughter

I filed for my daughter's immigrant petition a few years ago and now, the priority date for her is now current. Will the status of my petition including the priorit date get affected if i file for my citizenship now? My daughter lives overseas by the way. Thanks.

1. It depends on what country your daughter is from. However, even if you naturalizing makes the wait longer, your daughter can choose, under the Child Status Protection Act, to remain as the daughter of a green card holder for purposes of getting her green card more quickly.

Bottom line: Go ahead and become a U.S. citizen.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. The category will change once you are Naturalized. Depending on the country you are from it could be a problem and actually delay her case.

You should be contacted by the National Visa Center (603-334-0700) now that the priority date is current and if they have not, you can always call them and find out the status. Usually, this prompts the NVC to issue the affidavit of support and the Immigrant visa processing fee notices.

Marc Taylor, Esq.

3. I agree with Attorney Shusterman.

San Francisco Immigration Attorney for removal defense, all work visas and avenues to permanent residence, investors, and naturalization. Call 415.834.0600 for free phone consultation - mention Avvo! 235 Montgomery Street, Suite 728, San Francisco, CA 94104 / www.lawbridges.com

4. It will not change the priority date if that is what you mean.
    Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

5. In most cases, getting naturalized would only help.

6. This question was already answered.