Immigrant Petition for my Daughter

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I filed for my daughter's immigrant petition a few years ago and now, the priority date for her is now current. Will the status of my petition including the priorit date get affected if i file for my citizenship now? My daughter lives overseas by the way. Thanks.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

24

Answered . It depends on what country your daughter is from. However, even if you naturalizing makes the wait longer, your daughter can choose, under the Child Status Protection Act, to remain as the daughter of a green card holder for purposes of getting her green card more quickly.

Bottom line: Go ahead and become a U.S. citizen.

2. Curtis Frederic Pierce

11

Answered . In most cases, getting naturalized would only help.

3. Christian Schmidt

12

Answered . I agree with Attorney Shusterman.

4. Marc Damien Sean Taylor

Pro

10

Answered . The category will change once you are Naturalized. Depending on the country you are from it could be a problem and actually delay her case.

You should be contacted by the National Visa Center (603-334-0700) now that the priority date is current and if they have not, you can always call them and find out the status. Usually, this prompts the NVC to issue the affidavit of support and the Immigrant visa processing fee notices.

Marc Taylor, Esq.

5. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

10

Answered . It will not change the priority date if that is what you mean.
    Sent on the SprintĀ® Now Network from my BlackBerry

6. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

10

Answered . This question was already answered.