Immigrant married to US citizen.ConditionalGC upto Aug2013. May10-2013 Filed jointly for removal.Wife wants divorce.Please advic

Asked over 1 year ago - Washington, DC

She has a more practical aspect to life than me. I want love and affection in a relationship before we bring a kid into the relationship. She tells me that she does not have any emotional connections with me yet but still wants to go for the kid. I want to wait until me and my wife are connected and then go for the kid but she says that she wants us to go for the kid now or she will apply for divorce. I applied for conditional removal (1-751 application) on may10th and it was a joint application. Now she is blackmailing me that i have to decide if i want to go for the kid or face a divorce. Even i want the kid in our lives but i dont want to bring a kid until we sort our issues and have a loving relationship. Please advice on what route i should take if she applies for a divorce.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lisa A. Tehlirian


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I would advise consulting with an experienced immigration attorney about your conditional status. If you cannot file jointly with your wife, there are waiver options available.

    Lisa Tehlirian, Attorney -- Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900... more
  2. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As long as there is no divorce before the adjudication of your joint petition, you should be fine, otherwise you should consult with an immigration attorney to help you explore the waiver options.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not an immigration or even a legal question. You get to decide whether to have a child or a divorce.

    A divorce will require a waiver of the joint petition.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,097 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,097 answers this week

3,209 attorneys answering