Skip to main content

Immigrant and criminal question

Yonkers, NY |

my husband is wanted for attempted murder and has been wanted for 3 years. He was waiting for his green card but fled the country without it. Now he wants to surrender and wants to know how and what to prepare for.

Attorney Answers 4


Your husband is facing serious charges. We don't know from your posting if he was released on bail and fled the country and if so, at what stage of the case had been reached. For example, it is possible that if he was read what are known as Parker Warnings, he may very well have been tried and convicted in absentia.

Whatever the situation, your husband absolutely needs to call an experienced criminal defense attorney who has handled violent felony cases in Westchester County or New York City to guide him on his options. Use the Avvo find a lawyer function to locate such an attorney.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment



He was never put in jail he ran after the crime was commited and was never able to fight his case.


If he has a way to get admitted to the U.S., he can arrive, and expect to be detained at the airport based on the warrant.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


He should hire an attorney to negotiate his surrender and begin working on putting together a good bail application. He should expect to be detained at the port of entry.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Refer to my previous answer to this question.

Mark as helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics