Skip to main content

Im renting a residential garage, it has a living room,bath,bed and kitchen. How to find out if this is legal or illegal

Deer Park, NY |

Does home owners require any special permit to convert a garage to residential space?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Permits are absolutely required for garage conversions in Deer Park. You can find out if your landlord obtained the proper permits by visiting the Deer Park Building Department. They are located at 420 Rt. 209, Huguenot, NY 12746

    The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

  2. I agree with the previous answer . Your concern should be safety as the building codes are there to protect the public and if the owner didn't follow the code you may be at risk. A good deal on rent isn't a good deal if you are at risk from fire, carbon monoxide, electrical shock or structural collapse. Does the homeowner's insurance know he is renting? Who will pay your medical expenses if you are harmed?
    Good Luck

    Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

  3. Dear Deer Park Tenant:

    The Town of Babylon requires a Certificate of Occupancy prior to any legal occupancy:

    ">>>No building hereafter erected, enlarged, extended or altered shall be occupied or used in whole or in part until a certificate of occupancy, certifying that such building conforms to the approved plans and the requirements of these building standards and stating the purposes for which the building may be used in its several parts and any special stipulations, shall have been issued by the Building Inspector and signed by him or his authorized assistant. If the occupancy or use of a building is not discontinued during the work of alteration, the occupancy or use of the building shall not continue for more than 30 days after completion of the alteration unless a certificate shall have been issued.>>>"

    See Section 89-28 of the Town of Babylon Code.

    So you may check with the Town to learn if a Certificate of Occupancy exists for the converted garage.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

  4. Shaye and Steven are both correct. Depending upon which Deer Park you live in(upstate or Ling Island) check with the appropriate permitting body.

    Legal disclaimer: Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the State of New York only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to NY State. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Landlord-tenant law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics