Im over 21 in Pa , and if am drinking with under 21s, if I didn't purchase the alcohol, can i get charged with furnishing minors

Kingston, PA |

Cops followed us, they saw one guy buy the beer, the rest of us stayed in the car, the under 21s got citations, the guy who bought the beer got charged with furnishing alcohol to minors. I was told i was clear for now, but they could still charge me at a later stage. Can they do this or am I in the clear? Everyone in the group paid a few dollars for their own beer. I didn't buy beer for anyone, but gave someone over the age of 21 a few dollars for my beers. Any advice would be appreciated.

Drinking with minors is a bad idea—even if you didn't actually purchase the alcohol they drank, even just handing them a can from the cooler can result in a conviction, or even driving them to the store or the place where you were drinking can result in a conviction. And, of course, if the police claim that they saw you do any of those things, it's just your word against theirs.

Yes, the police have two years to charge you for furnishing alcohol to minors, and can do so at any time. That said, it is rare that the police go back and issue citations after deciding not to do so at the scene. In the event that you are cited, speak with a local defense attorney to discuss possible defenses like pre-arrest delay, prosecutorial misconduct, and defects in the officers' credibility based on the timing of their charging decisions.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.