Im on probation and was asked by a detective to come in for questioning in a robbery that my friend got arrested for.

Tallahassee, FL |

Im afraid that they may think I have something to do with it. Should I get a lawyer to go with me

You know the answer to this question and the answer is a resounding "of course." While your probationary sentence may require you to comply and cooperate with law enforcement as it pertains to your sentence, it does not interfere with your Constitutional rights. Consult with a lawyer and do not speak with anyone but your lawyer about that case.

Best of luck.

Posting an answer to your question does not create an attorney / client relationship such that you can or should rely on the information provided herein to take action. Instead, it is intended to simply provide you with information. I am not your lawyer and cannot provide you with legal advice unless and until I am hired to do so.

YES!

You should never go to talk to a detective without a lawyer, but most especially when you are on probation.

Any contact with law enforcement MUST be reported to your PO. Retain a lawyer to advise you, guide you, protect you and run blocker for your probationary interests and obligations.

This holds true whether you had any involvement in the robbery or not (but even moreso if you were so involved).

Do not hesitate. Get an experienced Tally area criminal defense lawyer in your corner asap.

I hope this has been helpful and wish you good luck.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)

You're being questioned by law enforcement; I recommend having a lawyer with you.

The attorney's responses to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Yes, you definitely need a lawyer with you, especially since you already suspect that it might affect you criminally

Never talk to anyone (that also includes police) about a criminal case without having a lawyer present. If you are charged with any crime, your probation can be violated. Seek a lawyer today.

Please understand that the information given is not to be construed as legal advice. More information would be needed in order to make a more accurate legal determination on your matter. Furthermore, an attorney-client relationship does not begin until a retainer agreement has been signed by the attorney and client.

Yes. Do not go to that interview without consulting an attorney. And depending upon the advice of the attorney, it may not be in your best interest to go to that interview at all.

Yes, absolutely. You also need a better class of "friends."

I only practice in the areas of personal injury, federal civil rights, and criminal law. I will not answer inquiries about legal representation in other areas of law, so please do not call me about matters outside my areas of practice. Furthermore, my answers on Avvo do not create an attorney-client relationship. Avvo is not designed for the type of legal analysis I personally require to accept a case. You should always seek a consultation with a licensed attorney who practices in the specific area of law who can fully review the facts of your case..

Absolutely, 100%, there are no two answers to this question, you must appear with a criminal defense attorney. Do not appear at police headquarters without a criminal defense attorney at your side, let your lawyer do the talking.

The information provided is not legal advice from Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes, or the Ticket Law Center in Miami, Florida. There is no attorney client privilege created in this communication. Do not send questions which are confidential in nature by either this venue or via email. Personal questions should be asked in person or via telephonic conference only. You should only ask theoretical questions of a general nature.