Im on a green card and have a criminal record on possession, can i leave and come back without been stopped?

Asked 10 months ago - Key West, FL

my charge was in 1998 and i had renewed my green card in 2007 for another 10 years.. can i change my status and become a citizen? or can i leave the country and come back without being stopped when i come back? or how can i fix the charges with immigration?

1. Nicolas Andres Olano

Pro

1

Answered . You may be stopped and depending on your charges be detained ( like in immigration detention center detained ). Go to an attorney before traveling or applying for Naturalization.

2. Majid Vasigh

Pro

Answered . If it's simple possession you should be fine. As long as the 5 preceding years before you file for Naturalization are clean, then you should be able to naturalize as well.

3. Stephen D. Berman

1

Answered . It depends what substance, how much, and other information.