Im marrying a lady from out of this country. the process to bring here here to usa will take a while when can i put her on tax

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

when can i add a dependent a wife and her child we are inprocess of gettng married
it will take time for her to get here to usa. not sure what law is on this?

1. Judy A. Goldstein

4

Answered . You cannot add this person or her child as a dependent for purposes of taxes if you are not yet married to her. You need to discuss this in more detail with an immigration attorney and possibly also a tax attorney.

I will send this question to the immigration lawyers.

2. J Craig Fong

4

Answered . If you are married and have children, you can include these qualified dependents on your Individual Tax Return. From an immigration standpoint, you cannot petition for your spouse and children or step children until you have been married. After you are married, if they are not yet in the USA, or if they are not yet Legal Permanent Residents, you should contact an accountant or other tax professional, because there are certain requirements to obtain Taxpayer Identification Numbers for relatives not yet resident in the USA.

Bringing your spouse to the USA takes time and there's quite a bit of paperwork. Broadly speaking, A US citizen married to a foreigner has the right to petition to allow that foreigner to permanently reside in the USA. The I-130 Family Petition can be done OUTside the USA, if the US citizen lives abroad; otherwise, it must be done INside the USA, in the region where the US citizen lives.

After the I-130 is approved, the foreigner may have the option to process for the legal permanent resident (LPR) status (the so-called “green” card) in the USA; this is called Adjustment of Status. NOT ALL FOREIGNERS WILL QUALIFY FOR ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS. If the foreigner is outside the USA, then the LPR status would be processed at a US Consulate-General in the country where the foreigner lives; this is the typical way such applications are processed.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.

3. Karen-Lee Pollak

3

Answered . You must get married first

4. Robert Jan Suhajda

Answered . A joint return generally cannot be filed if either spouse is a nonresident alien at any time during the tax year. However, if one spouse was a nonresident alien or dual-status alien who was married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien at the end of the year, the spouses can choose to file a joint return. If you do file a joint return, you and your spouse are both treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year. So if you file joint return you will be able to claim your step-child as a dependent.