Im married to an US citizen for almost 2 yrs who mentally and phisically abused me, cheated on me, lied to me and stole from me

Asked about 3 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I met him 2007 when I came to America as an exchange student, then went back to Germany, came a couple times to visit him and my friends here. At my last visit 2009 we decided to get married. After we got married in March 2010 and moved together the abuse started slowly. I found out that he sells drugs, takes drugs, has no license, cheats on me and lies to me etc. We start arguing every day. The phisical abuse went so far that I had to call the police one day because I was so scared of him. He was on probation for one year and has domestic battery on his record now. We tried to work it out again but the abuse started slowly again that I had to put his stuff outside and him too. I havent applied for the greencard yet and Im scared to apply by myself. What can I do?

1. William D. Fong

Answered . You need to protect yourself first; then see if you qualify as a self-petitioner under VAWA. You will need to show that the abuse rises to an extreme level. Typically you will need to get a professional assessment from a psychiatrist or psychologist.

2. Beth Padilla

Answered . I agree with my colleague. It is very important that you are safe before you worry about the immigration issues. He is correct in that you might be able to file for VAWA. You can find more information about this type of status on uscis.gov. There may also be local non profits that can help you with the paperwork.

3. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

4. Ala Amoachi

Answered . You might be eligible both for VAWA and U visa, though the first seems to be a better option for you. Discuss this issue with a lawyer as soon as possible.

5. Sean Lewis

Answered . I agree that first you need to protect yourself. Then seek professional advice about whether or not you can file under VAWA or otherwise. I would seek a lawyer with significant immigration experience who is also a member of AILA.

6. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

Answered . You are welcome to contact me for assistance on the VAWA application.

Goodluck.