Im married to an US citizen for almost 2 yrs who mentally and phisically abused me, cheated on me, lied to me and stole from me

Asked about 3 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I met him 2007 when I came to America as an exchange student, then went back to Germany, came a couple times to visit him and my friends here. At my last visit 2009 we decided to get married. After we got married in March 2010 and moved together the abuse started slowly. I found out that he sells drugs, takes drugs, has no license, cheats on me and lies to me etc. We start arguing every day. The phisical abuse went so far that I had to call the police one day because I was so scared of him. He was on probation for one year and has domestic battery on his record now. We tried to work it out again but the abuse started slowly again that I had to put his stuff outside and him too. I havent applied for the greencard yet and Im scared to apply by myself. What can I do?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. William D. Fong

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . You need to protect yourself first; then see if you qualify as a self-petitioner under VAWA. You will need to show that the abuse rises to an extreme level. Typically you will need to get a professional assessment from a psychiatrist or psychologist.

    713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full... more
  2. Beth Padilla

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I agree with my colleague. It is very important that you are safe before you worry about the immigration issues. He is correct in that you might be able to file for VAWA. You can find more information about this type of status on There may also be local non profits that can help you with the paperwork.

    This response is intended to provide general information and an attorney-client relationship has not been formed... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Ala Amoachi

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . You might be eligible both for VAWA and U visa, though the first seems to be a better option for you. Discuss this issue with a lawyer as soon as possible.

  5. Sean Lewis

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . I agree that first you need to protect yourself. Then seek professional advice about whether or not you can file under VAWA or otherwise. I would seek a lawyer with significant immigration experience who is also a member of AILA.

  6. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You are welcome to contact me for assistance on the VAWA application.


Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,867 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,867 answers this week

3,063 attorneys answering