Skip to main content

Im lost i dont kno what to do

Augusta, GA |

I had an accident on mothers day 2012 and i total lost my vehicle due to a large tree covered completely across the road, It wasnt in anyones yard so i dont kno what to do. Me my girlfriend and baby where involved, my girlfriend injured her ankle and the air bag bruised my arm, leaving us out f work for a couple days. Due to the fact that i was still paying on the vehicle it was signed over to me but the insurance was in the previous owners do i go about getting compensation for my vehicle, time lost from job and doctor bills...please help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Your girlfriend and baby likely have a right to sue your insurance for negligence, so they need lawyers. You hitting the tree is likely your fault, so I doubt you have a way to sue for your injuries but you may still have a claim if you were smart and carried med pay on your insurance. In any event, to be safe, you should see a lawyer too. But I suspect their claim is far stronger than yours. As for your vehicle, if you're at fault, you get paid nothing unless you carried full coverage.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Somebody was responsible for the tree, either a public entity or a private person or entity, and there may be liability for failure to maintain the tree, clean it up, etc. If a public entity was responsible, there may be special statutes of limitation that require you to take legal action within a short period of time, so you should contact an attorney immediately to evaluate your rights both for the property damage and the injuries.

Good luck.


I agree with Attorney Rosenthal. The tree did not move to the road by itself. Hire a PI attorney and sue the city, County, State and or the owner of the property next to the road. Hurry up because there are very short Statute of Limitations, Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Todd Michael Boudreaux

Todd Michael Boudreaux


I agree that you need to cotnact a local attorney. These claims are very fact specific, and the attorney will need detailed information about the case. Our firm is located in Augusta, with a second office in Evans. Please feel free to give me a call. (706) 869-1334.


This is a tricky case. Contact a local attorney to help

Sent from my iPad


The tree didn't just fall out of the sky. Find out where it came from, and have a personal injury lawyer go after the insurance policy on the property. Good luck.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I would need to know a little more about how the car accident in Augusta, Georgia happened & whose fault it was. I would be happy to speak with you if you would like. I can be reached @ (404) 303-8875. Thx so much & I hope you feel better.

Sam Levine, Esq.


Our firm is located in Augusta and also has an office in Evans. We can assit in investigating the facts of the case to determine how to pursue any claims for compensation. Please fee free to give me a call at (706) 869-1334 to discuss the matter further.


You likely have a right to recover from the property owner who owned the tree. Your girlfriend and baby also, in addition o the cause of action against the tree owner, may have a right to recover from you, not your insurance company (it's important to know that they will have to sue you to get the insurance money, but it's also important to know that insurance companies are not sued directly for the negligence of their insured, in most cases). They may also be entitled to compensation from their own insurance company for uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. It's important that you and your girlfriend both get attorneys.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer