Im looking for a pro bono lawyer for what i believe is a civil suit. Ive included a readers digest version of why

Asked about 2 years ago - Tustin, CA

I left my significant other of 15 years, 2 yrs ago. Do to domestic violence. We have two children together. since i have left he has hired PI's to follow me, put a GPS in my car, stole my car twice, the second time planted meth on the front passengers seat, tried running me off the road, broke into my house on several occasions, sends nasty text messages to me and my boyfriend almost on a daily basis, i can go on and on. I have a restraining order but that doesnt seem to stop him. I have several police reports to back everything that ive said up. I want to know if i have a case or not. i want to sew him for emotional distress. At one point he had 5 new car franchises. he sold the last one a year ago. hes worth millions.

Im looking for a civil lawyer based on contingency

1. Charles Richard Perry

Pro

2

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.

It may be that you have a claim against your former significant other, but I would note the following.

1. This is not a pro bono matter. "Pro bono" means that the lawyer will not charge you for his work. I believe you are asking someone to represent you on a contingency fee basis.

2. You need to be extremely careful of the statute of limitations here. Under California law, the statute of emotional distress claims is typically two years.

3. You may have evidentiary problems. Before meeting with a lawyer, you will need to establish how you know that your significant other did all these awful things. It won't be enough to say that he is the only one who could have done it. Your police reports are not evidence that you can use. The text messages are relatively easy to link to your former significant other, since they can be traced to a telephone number, but some of the other claims are more difficult.

4. It may be easier to pursue a civil cause of action for stalking under the California Civil Code. You should also see if the facts support a civil cause of action for domestic violence under that code. I am again concerned that at least certain acts of violence are barred by the statute of limitations. In any event, you must act quickly.

Best of luck to you.

2. Michael John Harrington

Pro

Answered . Youre looking for a contingrncy fee civil lawyer, harrassment, emotional distress, other common law and statutory torts.

3. Neil Pedersen

Answered . I agree that you are most likely looking for a contingency lawyer, not a pro bono lawyer. However, some of what you have explained might be something that a pro bono lawyer might be able to help you with. For instance the continued stalking and harassment is something that you can have done soon by a pro bono lawyer if you qualify financially. Orange County has a great pro bono resource call the Public Law Center. A large amount of Orange County attorneys volunteer to provide pro bono services to indigent clients. If you are looking for a pro bono lawyer and qualify financially, I strongly recommend you look the PLC up.

I wish you the best of luck.