Im in rolled in debt consolidation program for credit debt and got served with summons for credit card

Joliet, IL |

what or my legal options

1. You've now encountered one of the many weaknesses of debt consolidation programs: not all creditors are willing to deal with the program provider. Some creditors, particularly American Express and Capital One, either won't deal with them at all or will take a hard negotiating stance.

You should consult an attorney about the proper way to respond to the lawsuit. You should also consult a bankruptcy attorney. You can read an article at the link below that explains why bankruptcy is usually superior and cheaper than debt consolidation.

First, the firm is a debt relief agency according to the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We help people file for bankruptcy. We also do other stuff and we do it well, but Congress wants me to post this notice. Second, nothing on this site is legal advice. You are not my client unless you enter into a written agreement signed by you and me.

2. As previously mentioned, creditors are not required to works with debt consolidations. If you ignore the lawsuit, a default may be entered against you, which would allow the creditor to garnish wages and bank accounts. You should contact an attorney to discuss your options.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

3. Unfortunately, the credit card company is not obliged to agree with your arrangement .