Im getting pretty nervous here.. i have got so many different takes from the courts on getting a restricted drivers license ...

Asked over 1 year ago - Virginia Beach, VA

I am hiring a lawyer and told him the situation and am working with the Department of Rehabilitative services to get employment and i need to drive to interviews for technicals but i have read articles here saying that you can only drive to and from work and court ordered programs etc.Well i have followed thru on all my court ordered programs etc and finished technical school and am ready to work .I am a hairstylist. i have been working out of my house to get money up for fines and court costs of past but they are just running this time even thou it was 6 going on 7 yrs ago.The court says its all up to the judge what he will or wont approve and the lawyer says as long as i have a schedule it will be up to judge but i dont want to spend my money for nothing ?..i have no dui or dwis..advice

1. Victoria Lee Allen

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . Each judge does treat these differently and there's no way a lawyer can guarantee an outcome. However, when the individual has a schedule and has complied with everything else, the judge tends to approve the schedule. Sometimes, when a person must drive for work itself, or when the days vary, the judge tells the individual to keep their work schedule with them in the car. So, if the individual is pulled over for something they will have the ability to show the officer that they are going to work or home from work. That offers the driver a level of protection as well.

Long and short, your attorney can advise you how to best prepare, but only the judge can make the decision.

2. Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Pro

6

Answered . You stated you have hired a lawyer. I think you need to have a heart-to-heart with your attorney and find out what's going on. If you are unsatisfied at that point It would be prudent to speak to a different attorney that you trust and have confidence in.

3. John Weber III

Pro

4

1

Answered . Usually the work restrictions are include any work that you would have to do during the work day, including the travel as long as it is required by the employer. It sounds like you should be able to make that known to the judge when requesting the restricted license.