Im getting divorced in july i want to get alimony from him is there a way to get him for that?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chicopee, MA

i have been abused abandoned lied and used and cheated i would like help even now im seperated i wish i got help from him he lost all contact to me changed phone number blocked facebook he abused me iin august had a pretrial was going to have a trial in jan 30 charmed me into his life after 4 mos of seperation and started taking me out again coming my house taking me to dinner being intimate and then feb 13 comes and dumps me and found out hes been cheating on me with a girl after a month trying to b my friend so i can drop the charges i been going counseling and now i go to domestic vioelence program and i told her about this she says i should get it for emotional distress cuz he abadonen me cheated on me and lied and used me what can i do for any helpp i need help bad

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Robert A Stolzberg

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Generally speaking, alimony is not based on the conduct of the parties. It is based on the length of the marriage and the earnings of each of the spouses.

    Evaluating any legal question requires a detailed knowledge of the specific facts involved. Since a short... more
  2. Steven Edward Zlochiver


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should look at Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 208, Sections 48-55, to see if you may be aligible for alimony. It can depend on how long you've been married, or if you need alimony for a period of time to establish a career so that you can support yourself independently, or for a time so that you will be able to transition to single, independent life. I hope this helps to get you started.

  3. Emma A. Kremer

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry that you are dealing with this difficult situation. I agree with the answers of my colleagues that support is need-based not conduct-based. Since you have been through enough as it is with your husband you should really consult a divorce attorney to have someone on your side. You may be able to have him help pay your legal fees. You can search online for a divorce attorney on this website on the find a lawyer tab. If you are still suffering from abuse you should call the police and for emotional abuse continue with counseling and if you have a home together your attorney may be able to get an order for him to vacate. To keep your interests protected in the divorce, consult an attorney as soon as possible. Best of luck.

    Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. (It lets us know how we are doing.)... more
  4. Johanna Gatta

    Contributor Level 2


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Spousal support, which is often referred to as "alimony" can be awarded for a number of reasons, and the court’s consider the recipient’s need and the payor’s ability to pay.

    When determining alimony, courts may also look at a variety of other factors, including:

    -Length of the marriage
    -Age of the parties
    -Health of the parties
    -Income, employment and employability of both parties, including employability through reasonable diligence and additional training, if necessary
    -Economic and non-economic contribution of both parties to the marriage
    -Marital lifestyle
    -Ability of each party to maintain the marital lifestyle
    -Lost economic opportunity as a result of the marriage
    -Such other factors as the court considers relevant and material

    Ultimately, whether alimony will be awarded in your divorce or post-divorce is somewhat complex. An experienced divorce attorney can evaluate your situation and tell you whether an award is likely, and if so, the potential and maximum amount and duration of alimony.

    The answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is recommended that you retain an attorney... more
  5. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . This is the financial question not a moral question. How long have you been married and do you have any kids who are r minors?

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Howard M Lewis

Paying Alimony (Spousal Support)

Alimony, also known as maintenance or spousal support, refers to payments made by one spouse to the other after a couple divorces. These payments are for living expenses and/or child... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,601 answers this week

3,352 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,601 answers this week

3,352 attorneys answering