Skip to main content

Im getting divorce from my husband ( I have a green card because of him), however now I fall in love with somebody else..

Flushing, NY |

Im getting divorce from my husband ( I have a green card because of him), however now I fall in love with somebody else....Can i marry my illegal partner after I get divorce with my current husband? And how long we have to wait for him to get papers? I have the 10 years green card....

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You can get married but it is questionable if he will get a green card. It depends on many things such as, did he enter without being inspected and admitted or paroled? You also have to be a US citizen or Cuban, otherwise he has to go back to his country and apply for a waiver which will take a long time.

    Lachezar Vanchev, Esq. Southern Law Center, P.L. 2000 N. Dixie Hwy. Ste 4 Lake Worth, FL 33460 Office: 561 582 5001 Cell: 954 618 8976 Fax: 866 567 6412 email: This information is for general informational purposes ONLY and is not intended to be, and shall not be relied upon, as legal advice. No information on a web site or blog is a substitute for a personal consultation with an attorney.

  2. You can divorce your husband and marry someone else.. as to his papers, it will depend on how soon after you got your green card you would like to file for your new partner. Also, he might need a waiver...

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

  3. You can typically marry anyone that you want after you get divorced. You may want to check local law to see if there is a waiting period after the divorce before you marry again. I suggest that you speak with an experienced family law attorney before proceding. But, you should not be in danger of losing you Legal Permanent Status because of the divorce. How long before you can get papers for your prospective husband depends on many details that cannot be addressed in this forum. I recommend that you speak to an experienced immigration attorney in your area.

    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please contact at the Law Office of Daniel Corno, (832) 767-2922, 1535 South Richey, Pasadena, Texas 77502,

  4. Answer to your question requires details you did not provide. For instance, whether you hold a conditional or permeant green card; what illegal means in your book; was your marriage bona fide, just to name a few.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  5. It depends on the facts of your situations. Do consult an experienced Immigration Attorney for guidance.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  6. More information is needed to properly evaluate. Contact one of the immigration lawyers in your state above to investigate.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics