Im facing charges for a hit and run. How should I handle the situation?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Westfield, NJ

I backed into a vehicle and didn't notice any damage so I left. A few weeks later someone at the business where the accident happened approached me and said that I had caused damage. I willingly left them my info thinking It was the right thing to do. They called the police afte I left and I got a call today. The police department told me I will have to go to court to face 'leaving the scene' charges. The damage on my car that the investigating officer found doesn't match what happened. I backed into the car and the damage the officer found is on my front end. They also said that there was a witness. I was told that if I deny involvement they'll try to pin me with careless driving and failure to report an accident. They said they'd talk to the prosecutor since this is my first offense.

1. Steven Mark Sweat

7

Answered . Retain a criminal defense attorney. Don't make further statements to the police.

2. James F Paguiligan

4

Answered . If the accident caused only vehicle damage, you could face up to 30 days in jail, six month driver’s license suspension, and fines reaching $400. In addition to criminal charges and the effect of a suspended driver’s license, a hit and run conviction can increase your insurance rates or cause you to lose your car insurance altogether. Please contact my office so we can set up a free consultation.

3. Sheadyn Reaves Rogers

5

Answered . Hire a really good criminal defense attorney ASAP.

Pro

3

Answered . Simply retain a local criminal defense lawyer from your town and your odds of beating this will increase exponentially.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102
    215-510-6755
    http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. John George Ducey

1

Answered . First of all leaving the scene is much worse than careless and failure to report. So it makes no sense them telling you that. I handle these cases on a regular basis. Call me for more information but definitely call someone.

John Ducey
    732-458-5600

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now