Im employed by roofing company, driver,helper. Question regarding employees being entitled to overtime pay, legal status?

Asked 11 months ago - White Plains, NY

Employed Nys, westchester county roofing company that is incorporated. A previous question about being entitled to overtime pay (time and one half) regardless of being payed on or off the books has been answered. Company I work for has about 10 employees or more including myself. Most of the employees/workers have not been and are currently NOT being payed overtime hours. They, including myself average about 50 hours and sometimes more a week. (Mon-Sat) Other employees told me that they do not get overtime pay, time and one half (after 40 hours) . Most or some of the other employers either A) Are not legal residents B) Have not been paid and are not being payed overtime pay, even after years of working for company. With above stated, are they entitled overtime pay?

Ok, so even if being payed CASH OFF THE BOOKS and some employees are NOT LEGAL RESIDENTS, WITHOUT WORKING PAPERS..(Still entitled to overtime pay that employees have not been recieving in the past how many years..?) Also, if we do not keep the time sheets that our employer removes weekly so he can tally up each workers hours and pays every Saturday. Our work week is Thurs-Wed. To my knowledge, some employees/workers recieve ie: 40 hours in check at whatever hourly rate they recieve. And the additional let's say 10+ overtime hours seperately in cash. (But NOT in overtime pay as in time and one half) Is this illegal on the employer, owner of roofing company? Also, the ones that recieve full cash pay ONLY recieve same hourly pay even if worked 50 hours or anything over 40 hours at whatever normal hourly pay. Our employee, workers labor, overtime rights have been and being violated?

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

2

Answered . Yes. I would recommend filing a collective/class action to obtain wages you and others are owed. If you have additional questions or concerns I would be happy to answer your questions as I have handled a number of these cases throughout the State.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . You should all go to the same lawyer.

3. Darrel S Jackson

Pro

3

Answered . You and your coworkers may be entitled to overtime pay. I encourage you to consult in person with an employment attorney to get a thorough evaluation. Good luck.

4. Robert Walter Ottinger

Pro

Answered . Yes are entitled to overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek in the last 6 years. In addition to the unpaid overtime, you and your co-workers would be entitled to recover penalties which will double the amount owed to you. For example, if you are owed a total of $20,000 in unpaid overtime, you would be entitled to a total of $40,000 under the NY Labor Code and Fair Labor Standards Act. Sounds like you have a good case.

5. Denise Kingue-Bonnaig

Pro

Answered . Please contact an experienced employment lawyer, ASAP to determine if violations of the NY State Labor Law/Wage Theft Prevention Act, or any other applicable statute, are taking place.

It’s crucial that you and your fellow employees are keeping track of the hours you actually work. With devices such as hand-helds that have all types of recording, photographing, and note-taking capacities, it should be very simple to keep contemporaneous records about how you all are working overtime hours even if the employer is not keeping accurate time records, or in many cases, no time records.

The law protects those who are not legal residents as well; we have represented undocumented workers who were not being paid their lawful wages. Given our immigration law practice in addition to employment law practice, we also are able to advise clients on concurrent immigration issues they are having, while helping them resolve their wage and hour claims.

Please ensure that a legal consultation is scheduled ASAP.

Even if not all of your colleagues are willing to seek legal advice, at least you should, to vindicate your own rights.

-Denise K. Bonnaig
    212-374-1511