Im disabled and want to know if my apartment complex can charge me for my emotional/therapy support animal?

Fairborn, OH |

Apt. allows pets. But charges for pets. Is it legal to charge me for my support dog?? She isn't a pet.
She's a "reasonable accommodation"

Pet fees cannot be charged for service animals. Landlords who have a "no pets" policy cannot refuse to allow a disabled person to have a service animal. 24 CFR § 100.204(b). As you pointed out, pursuant to federal law, a landlord must make a "reasonable accommodation" to allow a disabled tenant to use and enjoy a dwelling on an equal basis with tenants who are not disabled. 42 U.S.C. § 3604(f)(3)(B)

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

2. I agree with the previous answer and you should not be charged a fee for service animal.
    Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes