Im considering marriage,would I be resposible for fiance child support as well if I was to marry him?

Asked over 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH

He was ordered to pay $240 per month.So many people say that once I marry him the court would also force me to pay his debt.As well as hold my income tax return until he was current with his child support. Is this in fact true for the State of Ohio ?

1. David Scott Bartos

4

Answered . No, you would not be responsible. Your husband's debts are his debts. Indirectly you would be affected by his support because it takes money out of your household. You will not be responsible for this debt if he stops paying.

2. David Jay Sternberg

4

Answered . No, you wil not be responsible for your new husband's child support or his debts. However, if he has an arearage in child support, it is likely that the Child Support Enforcement Agency will file for a tax refund intercept. If you file joint tax returns, the agency will get your portion of the refund along with his refund. Therefore, you would be well advised to file separate tax returns to avoid this problem. If you file a separate return, the agency cannot intercept your refund. You should consult with an attorney to explor all the options.

3. Christopher Joseph Tamms

1

Answered . No you cannot be held responsible for his support obligation directly.

4. David Keith Greer

1

Answered . No, by simply choosing to marry him, your fiance alone will be responsible for these payments. You are not the biological mother. Prudent question to ask though, and good luck!