Im being charged with giving false information to a police officer in NJ; what is the penalty for that ?

Asked 6 months ago - Beverly, NJ

I was with a friend who was in an accident; she thought the person who hit her left the scene so she also left. Soon after we were pulled over and when the police asked my name, i told them a false one because I thought I had a warrant , which it turns out, I did not. Im trying to find out what happens now and how much trouble Im in.

1. Christopher J Basner

Pro

1

Answered . Why are you first concerned about the penalties?

What if the State cannot prove the charges?

Check out the below link to see what the State has to prove.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/criminal/charg...

Is that the statute that you were charged with?

Until retained, this answer does not constitute legal advise, as it is based on extremely limited information.
  2. Christopher T Campbell

Pro

1

Answered . This sounds like a disorderly persons offense, which carries a possible sentence of up to 6 months in jail and $1000 fine. Now you will be arraigned in the municipal court where this happened. Make sure the court knows what your address is or you won't get the notice and really get a warrant.

3. Eric M. Mark

Pro

Answered . If you are convicted, the charge is a disorderly persons offense. It is punishable by up to 6 months in jail, but unless you have a horrible criminal history, your likely penalties are a fine and maybe probation. You would have a criminal record, though.
    There may be some defenses to the charges. You should explore this with a lawyer before deciding what to do.

4. Mark M Cheser

Pro

Answered . This is a DP but based on your post you are not guilty of anything.You were not hindering because there was no warrant nor were you obstructing.

5. Michael L Pescatore

Answered . If this is a disorderly persons offense, there is a possible sentence of up to 6 months in jail and $1000 fine, plus court costs. You may want to hire an attorney, at a reasonable rate, to see if this could be plead to a lesser offense, like a municipal ordinance. .