Skip to main content

Im awaiting a court date and wonder if there is any way i can rush it?

San Antonio, TX |

Ive been out on bond for 3weeks now im tryin to see what i can do to rush a court date. My ex partners charges have been droped an im trying to figuar out how come i havent heard anything do i go about all this i really dont understand how his case got droped

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Spent the money for an hour consult with a top criminal defense attorney in your area. Please do not go calling prosecutors or courts asking to speed it up. Talk to a lawyer first. Do not make any statements about the (potential) case to any law enforcement. To answer your question, Yes - it is often possible for a criminal defense lawyer to advance court dates. However, it is often unwise to do so. Sometimes its good to get things moving fast, but sometimes - even though its stressful - its better to quietly wait. Again, an experienced criminal lawyer should be able to advise you in Texas.

    Information provided in the forum is not intended as legal advice. Laws and case outcomes can vary from State to State. One should consult with a licensed attorney before making any important decision regarding legal rights or obligations. Posts in this forum are no substitute for an attorney-client relationship.

  2. You're just going to have to let the system run its course. Three weeks isn't much of a wait. I'm not sure I've ever had a case filed that quickly when my client was on bond. A case can't be dismissed before it's filed (if at all), and this process can take months. You need to hire an attorney who practices criminal defense in your county to get a better idea of what to expect.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney who practices criminal law in your jurisdiction for the most accurate legal advice.

  3. 3 weeks is nothing. Most cases take at least 3 months to be filed and assigned a court. There really is no way to rush the process. Your lawyer may be able to call the DA's office once it gets there so that is assigned a court quicker. Talk to him about that.

    This answer is general information only and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.

  4. In San Antonio, if you were arrested and charged you should have received a court date. If you have an attorney, ask her to reset your case to a date sooner. If not then you will have to wait.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics