Skip to main content

Im applying for citizenship and need help

Riverside, CA |

im applying for citizenship and have a question about an answer its question 33 . Are you a male who lived in the usa at anytime between your 18th and 26th bdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmmigrant ... what does this mean?

also i was 30 year old when got my visa so not sure about how to answer this

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


This question is to determine if you were obligated but did not enroll in Selective Service (draft eligibility).

"Lawful nonimmigrant" would be using a non-immigrant visa, like the ones listed on this page:

Emily Ann Younger

Emily Ann Younger


If you first came to the U.S. when you were 30 years old, and were not here previously in any status, then the answer would be "no."

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


Did you ever live here illegally without proper visa status when you were between 18-26 years



Yes I did live here illegally when I was 18 and 26


It's not about when you got your visa, but whether you lived in the US between the ages of 18 to 26, and if so, what your immigration status was.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer