Skip to main content

Im an F1 OPT student.Im planing marry my fiancé very soon.

College Park, MD |

im an F1 OPT student.Im planing marry my fiancé very soon.My Fiance recently got devorced from a man.They have been married for almost for years during that four years she sponsor him Green Card and he got his GC in january.

After our Marriage i want to file for my Green card through her.My question is will there be any problem to get My green card ?

(We are marrying for real no game/drama)

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Assuming your fiancé did not engage in fraud in her prior marriage and you are otherwise eligible for adjustment of status, there should be no issues. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for a full assessment of the matter.

  2. I assume she is a USC. There will be questions about the bona fides of her previous marriage. If that marriage was genuine, and yours will be as well, you should not have any problems.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. Assuming the prior marriage was legitimate, there should be no problems.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  4. I slightly disagree. Your wife will have to earn enough money to support you and her ex-husband. If her ex-husband has become a naturalized U. S. Citizen, then she will not be obligated to support him for I-864 affidavit of support purposes. However, your income may be taken into consideration since you have a valid employment authorization.

    I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration and visa. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

  5. I agree with Kevin. The least you should do is talk to an immigration attorney to cover your bases.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics