Im an F-1 Visa holder studying here in the United States. Is there any way i can get a social security number?

I really need a SSN as it would help me a lot during the five years i'm staying here. Everything depends on SSN and i feel paralyzed without it. Can you please advise me about this?

San Diego, CA -

Alexi Ozols

Alexi Ozols

Criminal Defense Attorney - San Diego, CA

You can get a SSN. Go to the local social security office and show them your I-20. If needed you may need a letter from your employer. It can be a letter just for volunteer work that will be good enough. Then bring that information to the social security office with your 1-20 and passport and you will get an SSN. The SSN will say on it though " Valid for work only with DHS authorization". I have been through this process so I know this is exactly how it works. This does NOT mean you can work in the US, it only means that you have a SSN, to work in the US you would need that additional DHS authorization.

Please call the firm below if you have any other questions or need help through this process.

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Immigration Attorney - West Palm Beach, FL

You must be authorized to work in the U.S. by the Department of Homeland Security in order to obtain a social security number. Generally speaking, most F-1 students are not authorized to work so they are not eligible for an SSN.

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

If the school requires it, you can apply based on your I-20. Otherwise, you cannot.

Asheesh Kumar Sharma

Asheesh Kumar Sharma

Immigration Attorney - Atlanta, GA

I agree with my colleagues.