Im an F-1 Visa holder studying here in the United States. Is there any way i can get a social security number?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I really need a SSN as it would help me a lot during the five years i'm staying here. Everything depends on SSN and i feel paralyzed without it.

Can you please advise me about this?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You can get a SSN. Go to the local social security office and show them your I-20. If needed you may need a letter from your employer. It can be a letter just for volunteer work that will be good enough. Then bring that information to the social security office with your 1-20 and passport and you will get an SSN. The SSN will say on it though " Valid for work only with DHS authorization". I have been through this process so I know this is exactly how it works. This does NOT mean you can work in the US, it only means that you have a SSN, to work in the US you would need that additional DHS authorization.

    Please call the firm below if you have any other questions or need help through this process.
    Good luck.

  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must be authorized to work in the U.S. by the Department of Homeland Security in order to obtain a social security number. Generally speaking, most F-1 students are not authorized to work so they are not eligible for an SSN.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  3. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the school requires it, you can apply based on your I-20. Otherwise, you cannot.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    Asheesh K. Sharma Attorney at Law Sharma Law Offices, LLC 47 Perimeter Center East, Suite 260 Atlanta, GA... more

Related Topics

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Student visas

Student and exchange visitor visas allow people to come to the United States temporarily for a specific educational or cultural purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,899 answers this week

3,777 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,899 answers this week

3,777 attorneys answering