Im an F-1 Visa holder studying here in the United States. Is there any way i can get a social security number?

Asked about 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I really need a SSN as it would help me a lot during the five years i'm staying here. Everything depends on SSN and i feel paralyzed without it.

Can you please advise me about this?

1. 1

1

Answered . You can get a SSN. Go to the local social security office and show them your I-20. If needed you may need a letter from your employer. It can be a letter just for volunteer work that will be good enough. Then bring that information to the social security office with your 1-20 and passport and you will get an SSN. The SSN will say on it though " Valid for work only with DHS authorization". I have been through this process so I know this is exactly how it works. This does NOT mean you can work in the US, it only means that you have a SSN, to work in the US you would need that additional DHS authorization.

Please call the firm below if you have any other questions or need help through this process.

2. 2

Answered . You must be authorized to work in the U.S. by the Department of Homeland Security in order to obtain a social security number. Generally speaking, most F-1 students are not authorized to work so they are not eligible for an SSN.

3. 2

Answered . If the school requires it, you can apply based on your I-20. Otherwise, you cannot.

4. 1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.