Im an 18 yr old immigr- victim of domestic violence an i really need bodys advice on how to handle my immigr- statues..

Houston, TX |

2yrs ago my stepdad has aggressably beat me, my mom, and bro- He spend a whole yr. in jail an got deport- for the fact that it was his 2nd case. I have no support from my mom when it comes to my immigr- statues. I can't work, go to college, an we'r about to loss our home for the same reason. We'r a familly of 5 but im the one that keeps whats leaft of this family going. I just really need some body's advice, I'm not asking for much.......

1. Sorry to hear your story. But you might benefit either from a U Visa or even a VAWA petition. Please read the attached articles. Contact an immigration attorney or an organization that can assist you. Do this asap.

Good Luck
    Shah Peerally
    Note: The above is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act based solely on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.

2. I am very sorry to hear about the abuse that you and your family suffered at the hands of your stepfather. Thank goodness you are safe.

In order to provide you with a more accurate assessment of your case, our law firm would need to know more specfics concerning your entry in the U.S., stepfather's convictions and court proceedings. Did he have a trial? Did you or mother cooperate with the police in the prosecution? Did he have a green card or was he in the U.S. on a visa?

There are a number of Immigration Petitions that we could file on your behalf, such as: Green Card Petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), U Visa, etc. Contact our law firm for more information on procedure or consult with an Immigation Lawyer to find out more about how to get the process started to help you.

Good luck to you.

Nikiki T. Bogle, Esq.
    Immigration Lawyer
    BOS LEGAL, LLC
    Phone: (800) 342-1733 ext. 101
    Email: ntb@boslegal.com

3. I agree with the previous attorneys' advice.

You should definitely explore the possibility of getting status under a VAWA self-petition (for victims of domestic violence at the hands of a US citizen or legal permanent resident spouse, parent or child) or a U visa (for victims of crimes who experienced substantial physical and/or mental harm and who have been, are being or will be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime). I have handled these cases and winning one of these statuses can really change your life. It will put you on a path to legal permanent residence.

Your mother and brother may also have cases, as well.

Please schedule a consultation with an attorney experienced with these cases in order to see if you may be eligible.

I strongly advise consulting with an immigration attorney before filing any papers with Citizenship and Immigration Services or in the Immigration Court, particularly if the person for whom you are filing has any past negative immigration or criminal history and is in the United States. There is always a risk of removal from the United States.

Good luck to you.

Angela Bortel
    Sole Member and Attorney
    The Bortel Firm, LLC
    701 4th Ave. S., Ste. 500
    Minneapolis, MN 55415
    www.bortelfirm.com
    info@bortelfirm.com
    612.208.7228

Admitted to practice in California and Minnesota

Consultations available in person, by telephone and now by Skype!

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.