Im agoraphobic and i cant attend civil court can my partner attend for me

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I think Im being sued

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

3

Answered . If you cannot attend court, a lawyer must appear for you. If you are agoraphobic, and provide the court with a doctor's letter to that effect, they will or at lest should bend over backwards to accommodate you.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . You need to hire a lawyer. You may only need to go to court if there is actually a trial. THere may be ways around it such as a video deposition. It may depend on the Judge and how good your medical documentation is.

3. Steven Warren Smollens

2

Answered . Dear I think I'm being sued?

You do not know if your are being sued but you want to know if someone else could attend court in your place? In New York, only an attorney can actually stand up for you in court. But you have no reason to "attend civil court" if you do not even know whether you are being sued.

You are sued if you have been served with a summons and complaint. If you have been served with a summons and complaint, there is no going to court until the case has moved along. A Civil Court complaint is countered with an Answer. You should have your lawyer prepare your answer for you. Many lawsuits are lost at this stage by the defendant for failing to answer or serving an answer that does not properly address the plaintiff's allegations of fact and assert cognizable legal defenses. Your attorney can prepare your answer without you having to go to court.

At some point, way after your answer is served, depending on the type of case and especially if there is a pre-trial deposition, an accommodation may be made for your agoraphobia.