Skip to main content

Im agoraphobic and i cant attend civil court can my partner attend for me

New York, NY |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I think Im being sued

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you cannot attend court, a lawyer must appear for you. If you are agoraphobic, and provide the court with a doctor's letter to that effect, they will or at lest should bend over backwards to accommodate you.

    If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -

  2. You need to hire a lawyer. You may only need to go to court if there is actually a trial. THere may be ways around it such as a video deposition. It may depend on the Judge and how good your medical documentation is.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  3. Dear I think I'm being sued?

    You do not know if your are being sued but you want to know if someone else could attend court in your place? In New York, only an attorney can actually stand up for you in court. But you have no reason to "attend civil court" if you do not even know whether you are being sued.

    You are sued if you have been served with a summons and complaint. If you have been served with a summons and complaint, there is no going to court until the case has moved along. A Civil Court complaint is countered with an Answer. You should have your lawyer prepare your answer for you. Many lawsuits are lost at this stage by the defendant for failing to answer or serving an answer that does not properly address the plaintiff's allegations of fact and assert cognizable legal defenses. Your attorney can prepare your answer without you having to go to court.

    At some point, way after your answer is served, depending on the type of case and especially if there is a pre-trial deposition, an accommodation may be made for your agoraphobia.

    Good luck.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics