Skip to main content

Im a us citizen and petitioning my mother from PHilippines.and i have a brother turning 20on feb 2012

Lakewood, CA |
Filed under: Immigration US visas

im currently unemployed but my husband work as an rn can i still petition my mother?and my husband will be my co sponsor?can i petition my brother with my mom?thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to have an experienced immigration attorney review your family's immigration history and provide you with a legal opinion. You will still have to petition and file a affidavit of support even without income. Your husband can act as a joint sponsor and will be financially obligated under the civil contact laws.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


I agree with my colleague. You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can assist you with your family history and help you attain your goals. Child status protection act may potentially help your brother and preserve his age as "under 21." Please consult with an immigration attorney. Good luck.

Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an immigration attorney. Mr. Lorenzon can be reached at 216 573 7322 or at


You can file for both, however your brother will not be able to immigrate with your mother as they fall under difference preference categories. While there will ba a visa immediately available to your mother, there will not be one immediately available for your brother.

Yes, your husband can assist you. He will not need to fill out an additional I-864, but rather the I-864A. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.


You can file the I-130s at the same time, but your brother faces a 20+ year wait.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer